Re: [exim] How to catch attachments with non-ascii names?

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Alexander Shikoff
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to catch attachments with non-ascii names?
Alexander Shikoff wrote:

The problem is the asterisk after the 'filename' tag.

This is defined in RFC 2231 "MIME Parameter Value and Encoded Word
Extensions" as a mechanism to specify character set information. Exim
does not currently support the MIME extensions of this RFC.

Exim does support decoding RFC 2047 encoded MIME words via the ${rfc2047
expansion operator, however.

I just went to read RFC 2231 and it says:

IMPORTANT NOTE: These mechanisms end up being somewhat gibbous when
they actually are used. As such, these mechanisms should not be used
lightly; they should be reserved for situations where a real need for
them exists.

However I don't see the need for this mechanism when RFC 2047 exists ...

Is it just mutt producing such headers?

/tom