[exim] Making progress: Selective filters incoming messages

Author: Laurel Fitzhugh
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Making progress: Selective filters incoming messages
ok

I got access to the domain exim filter file. It is some sort of redirect or
reference to a file in my root folder. This is the current file:
~
# Exim filter
if not first_delivery and error_message then finish endif
if
$h_X-Spam-Status: begins "Yes"
then
deliver "spam@???"
endif
~
Now, to keep things simple, I figure that for all internal-only email
addresses in the domainname.com, I will just put a unique string in those
email addresses (i.e., 843), and then ADD this to the filter file:

~
if error_message then finish endif <--they have a similar condition
                                                 in the file above, so i
think i should
                                                 delete this line.
if "$h_to:, $h_cc:, $local_part:" contains 843 then
    IF $sender_address does not match "@domainname.com"
then fail
else endif
~

well, if this logic and commands work, then it is so simple i can't see a
problem. however, it is scary. the host said they'd test it for me, but
one of the many techs providing conflicting information said it was "likely"
we'd lose email during testing. hmmm. willing to bite the bullet, because
they need this, still, why would it be so dangerous to test? I am waiting
to run this by the host, just to see if any warnings come up from y'all.
Between my ignorance and their conflicting responses and the company's
needs, the more eyes the better. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I am particularly writing for feedback on my logic and commands in the green
(or if you are reading text, the second set of ~s) section.

Thanks,

laurel