Re: [exim] mysql_servers expansion

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] mysql_servers expansion
On 12/25/06 6:13 PM, "Jawaid Bazyar" <Jawaid.Bazyar@???> wrote:

> Is there a particular rationale for mysql_servers to not be expandable?
> I have a multi-machine cluster and I want each server in the cluster to
> have a different mysql server list. I have a configuration management
> system and thus all config files are identical - but certain lookups are
> done to provide different results on each server.
>
> I'll just tweak the source unless there is a Really Good Reason(tm) not
> to :-)

We manage our Exim configurations with the help of Subversion, and use an
installation script (cleverly named install.sh) to install from the checkout
directory into the live directory.

Our configurations include some macros near the top, for server-specific
information, including
MYSQL_SERVER_LIST =

The install.sh script applies a host-specific patch file which changes the
macro to something like

MYSQL_SERVER_LIST = localhost/blah/blah/blah : other.com/blah/blah/blah

(It was here I had my non-working bare host name that I muttered about the
other day.)

And then, at a convenient point:
mysql_servers = MYSQL_SERVER_LIST

This seems to be working well for the server-specific stuff, and Subversion
is a really convenient way to keep the configurations on the servers
synchronized. (There are other ways.)

--John