Re: [exim] Trying to add alias users to the same accounts

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Trying to add alias users to the same accounts
On Tuesday 12 December 2006 20:33, Rob Wilson wrote:
> Can I add an alias user to the user database. My account on my server
> is robwilson, but I want it to be rob.wilson. I imagine it's not as
> simple as just changing my username in the userdb file as that is
> nothing to do with the user ID in the actual operating system.

There are an arbitrary number of setups possible, but if you want to add add a
mail alias, you typically add the following to /etc/aliases:

rob.wilson: robwilson

It is possible that you can have more than one entry with the same uid in the
userdb (e.g. if it's the standard /etc/password) but it can have strange
effects.

> Please also be aware I am something of a noob with E-Mail servers. How
> do I make it as secure as possible? I know that making it totally
> secure would mean closing the port son my firewall but that defeats the
> object somewhat.

Some would say that noobs shouldn't run mail servers. That said, Exim's
default configuration is reasonably safe in that it doesn't allow open
relaying. You might want to read the Security considerations section of the
specification.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)