Re: [exim] starting exim4 automatically

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] starting exim4 automatically
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:44:57 +0000, Ian Eiloart <iane@???>
wrote:
>Can people without answers please butt out! It's not useful to anyone to be
>so rude to newcomers.
>

>    "If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all."

Not sending Debian users to the Debian-specific support channels is
going to get Debian bashed here. At least that's my experience.

And I am constantly trying to improve the docs by asking people what
exactly was wrong, where they looked for some information and didn't
find the right part of information.

But in the vast majority of cases, people just googled for exim and,
of course, found this mailing list instead of the docs that were
already on their system.

>Wes, try using Exim's debug output, with something like "exim -d -bt
>myusername@???". If that doesn't fix the problem,

It doesn't. Look at what Wes did with the router, which is in
original:

|# router/150_exim4-config_hubbed_hosts
|#################################
|
|# route specific domains manually.
|#
|# see exim4-config_files(5) and spec.txt chapter 20.3 through 20.7 for
|# more detailed documentation.
|
|hubbed_hosts:
|  debug_print = "R: hubbed_hosts for $domain"
|  driver = manualroute
|  domains = "${if exists{CONFDIR/hubbed_hosts}\
|                   {partial-lsearch;CONFDIR/hubbed_hosts}\
|              fail}"
|  same_domain_copy_routing = yes
|  route_data = ${lookup{$domain}partial-lsearch{CONFDIR/hubbed_hosts}}
|  transport = remote_smtp

It is incredibly frustrating that people have a standard problem, take
the (working!) standard solution and break it in the process of trying
to make it work without reading the docs.

Yes, the references to the docs are actually present in our default
configuration.

Greetings
Marc