Re: [exim] time critical

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Robert Fleming
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] time critical
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:26:59PM -0600, Robert Fleming wrote:
> I am using exim on an embedded platform which sends mail over a ppp
> serial link via satellite. im trying to keep connect time to a min.
>
> what is the fastest way to transfer between 2 exim servers. i am using
> ip literal addressing to keep dns to a min. what suggestions can you
> give me ? I am using mutt to send a small mime64 attachment as the
> actual message.

When using SMTP, are you limited by bandwidth or
round-trip time? If the latter, make sure that you enable
pipelining and any other available SMTP extensions; or
perhaps consider transferring batched-SMTP data by some
non-SMTP means (for instance, HTTP PUT). If you are not
sure what limits you, more details needed -- nominal
bandwidth and typical ping time for the type of link
you're using would be informative.

--
``British art-rock miserablists Radiohead.''
(Mitch Benn: one-line music criticism; from `The Now Show')