Re: [exim] Outlook / client problem or misconfiguration? - f…

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: Sebastian Berm
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Outlook / client problem or misconfiguration? - from header is changed
On 19/12/2006 10:46, Sebastian Berm wrote:
> If I would mail someone at the domain, mail gets delivered, they fetch
> it by POP3, and between the fetch and the delivery in their mail client
> this happens:
>
> *>*From xxxx@??? Mon Dec 18 13:50:03 2006
>
> It adds an > to the From header, so it's no longer recognised by Outlook
> as valid.

Ch 26: The appendfile transport
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch26.html

See the "check_string" option. A line beginning "From " is a message
delimiter in "traditional" spool files, and in order to prevent POP/IMAP
daemons or other MUAs collapsing when reading the spool file, any
message containing a line *after the start of the message* will have a >
prepended to the "From " part.

This *should not happen* with the first line of a given message, so
something is very wrong somewhere.

What mailbox format are you using? Can you post the transport that is
delivering these messages to the local mailbox?

Graeme