Re: [exim] pipe transport woes

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Douglas Choma
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] pipe transport woes
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 11:49:44PM -0800, Douglas Choma wrote:
> I have a very simple shell script written to handle email messages to
> a specific address. But I've noticed some weirdness with using
> scripts from Exim.

    [...]

> What am I missing?

I'm afraid I have no idea, but if you're using a system
where it works, I recommend using strace for solving this
sort of problem. Instead of invoking foo.sh, change your
config to invoke a script,

    #!/bin/sh
    exec strace -f -o /tmp/strace.out.$$ /path/to/real/foo.sh

then send an appropriate mail and examine the strace
output to see where it's going wrong. (NB that the use of
a temporary file above isn't safe, so if you have
untrusted users on the machine output the file to the home
directory of the user under which the script is run.)

--
``Beds Will Be Made Up As Laid Down In Standing Orders.'' (US Air Force)