Re: [exim] Outgoing Relaying Setup

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Outgoing Relaying Setup
Peter Salzman wrote:

> I read the Exim docs
>
>    http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.20/doc/html/spec_46.html#SEC813

Those docs are for Exim 3.20. The current version is 4.63, which is
documented at:

http://exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/index.html

If your friend's server really is still running Exim 3.20, not many
people on this list will be able to help you much, as that version is
very out of date.

> and I believe this is called "outgoing relaying".
>
> The docs say that in order for my friend's computer to be an SMTP server for
> my computer, he needs to add this:
>
>    host_accept_relay = ip_address/netmask

> to a configuration file.

In current exim, at least if your config looks like the default config,
you need to add your host to the relay_from_hosts list. That can take a
hostname which will be looked up in DNS.

See:
http://exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch07.html#id2545170

- Marc