[exim] Outgoing Relaying Setup

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Peter Salzman
To: exim-users
Oggetto: [exim] Outgoing Relaying Setup
Hi all,

I have DSL with dynamic IP. A domain name is attached to my IP, and I wrote
a Perl script that updates my DNS whenever that IP address changes.

Unfortunately, my ISP filters incoming port 80 and outgoing port 25 if the
"from" header doesn't contain a "verizon.net" address.

Currently, I receive email at my home computer, but have to ssh to a
friend's machine to send email. It would be much more convenient if,
instead of sshing to his computer to use mutt, I could use mutt from my home
machine and use his machine as an SMTP server.

I read the Exim docs

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.20/doc/html/spec_46.html#SEC813

and I believe this is called "outgoing relaying".

The docs say that in order for my friend's computer to be an SMTP server for
my computer, he needs to add this:

host_accept_relay = ip_address/netmask

to a configuration file. A few questions about this:

1. Since I have a dynamic IP but a constant domain name, can this directive
use domain names like this:

      host_accept_relay = mail.wavefunction.org

2. Are there any security considerations to be made with this?

3. What config file should this go in?

Thanks!
Pete