Re: [exim] Using Exim ACL to blackhole bounce messages

Author: Sebastian Berm
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using Exim ACL to blackhole bounce messages
Jeremy Harris wrote:
> <snip>
> In addition to the solution to your question, why can't you reject
> such rather than discarding them?
>
> -Jeremy

My problem with rejecting them, is that the 'source mail servers' are
following the 'rules' for processing rejected e-mail, and will retry
again later. This wouldn't be a problem if it was just 10 or 20k mails,
but were actually talking about more than 100k bounce messages already.
For me it's no longer a question to get it fixed, it has become a quest
to keep the servers live and the load low, usually they process about 2
to 5k messages per day, with peaks to 10k, but no more...

We already tried rejecting all messages to the target domains for some
time, works perfectly, however, due to the retry settings on the other
side (we rejected with 'temporary local problem'), we eventually ended
up with about 300 to 400 open tcp connections with other mailservers
trying to dump the bounces to our clients, which is quite a lot, if
you're used to 10 to 20 connections. As you notice, the servers in
question aren't normally doing very much ;).