Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Ted Cooper, Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

--On 9 December 2006 11:36:36 +1100 Ted Cooper <eximX1211@???>
wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
>> Picture this situation. I have several IPs to send mail on to forward to
>> my customers. One transport uses IP address A and for some unknown
>> reason A becomes accidentally blacklisted. So the customers hosting
>> company starts bouncing all the email coming from my filtering service
>> for that customer.
>>
>> But - if it could be passed on to another transport that sends on a
>> different IP then it would perhaps go through.
>>
>> As I have said. Would never do this for all outgoing email but only in
>> very targeted situations.
>>

> Avoid the issue in the first place. You should get your IPs whitelisted
> at EVERY customer site.

But, his customers typically have accounts at large ISPs, like hotmail,
yahoo, aol, etc. OK, so it's not too hard to get whitelisted at some, but
others are tough to get whitelisted at.

> Either that, or get your customers to pick up
> their mail directly from you. Actually, if they aren't in control of
> their server, this is probably the best solution.

They're not in control. They're also not in control of their domains, and
for some people changing an email address is hard - there's no equivalent
to telephone number portability.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex