Re: [exim] Exim and libmysqlclient.so

Top Pagina
Auteur: Axel Thimm
Aan: ROGERS Richard
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Exim and libmysqlclient.so
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 11:24:45AM -0000, ROGERS Richard wrote:
> just upgraded from the Exim 4.62 RPM package on the Fedora "extras" site
> to the 4.63 package on ATrpms (we are running Fedora Core 5). Two issues
> arose with libmysqlclient.so, neither of which seems to be a show
> stopper but would be nice to get to the bottom of...
>
> 1. On attempting to install the package I got an error
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) is needed by
> exim-4.63-26.fc5.at.i386

> although libmysqlclient.so.15 is present in /usr/lib/mysql

The versioned shared lib sysmbol was introduced between
mysql-5.0.18-2.1 and 5.0.22-1.FC5.1 (the latter is an update from June
and there was anothe rupdate in November). E.g. you are running it on
a never updated system.

So all you have to do is to yum update the system. You should keep the
system at the latest updates in any case for a mail server exposed to
the net.

$ rpm -q --whatprovides 'libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15)'
mysql-5.0.27-1.fc5

> I got past that by installing with rpm -i --nodeps

Never do that. If a package refuses to install it will have a reason,
in this case the need for updating the underlying mysql libs.

> 2. On starting exim the following error is shown
>
> Starting exim: /usr/sbin/exim: /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.15: no
> version information available (required by /usr/sbin/exim)
>                                                            [  OK  ]

> And indeed exim appears to be running OK.
>
> At present I don't need to make anty direct SQL calls out of Exim, so if
> it's running without this functionality I can live with that for now.
>
> I would like to understand what these messages mean and how I can fix
> the issues though...

Hope the above clarifies the situation (and please do update your
system for your own well being).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net