Re: [exim] why multiple recipients in Envelope-To header?

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] why multiple recipients in Envelope-To header?
On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 20:25 +0100, Marten Lehmann wrote:

> But from what I expected this option to do each recipient should only see

> Is this an error within exim? Or are my expectations to this option
> wrong? How can I tell exim to only show one Envelope-To address?

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch24.html

envelope_to_add

If this option is true, an Envelope-to: header is added to the message.
This gives the original address(es) in the incoming envelope that caused
this delivery to happen. More than one address may be present if the
transport is configured to handle several addresses at once, or if more
than one original address was redirected to the same final address.

If you have multiple recipients for a given message in the same domain,
then a sending MTA usually batches them up into one session and issues
several "MAIL TO:" commands - this is the SMTP "envelope". More than one
recipient gives more than one entry in that additional header.

You may have to be a bit more clever with your envelope handling, by
either refusing more than one recipient at a time (rough, slows your
messages down) or extracting the recipients from the envelope data one
at a time and adding the header at ACL or final transport time. How
you'd do that is up to you, I'm afraid.

Look at the "headers_add" option for transports and routers.

Graeme