Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Chris Lightfoot
CC: exim-users, Graeme Fowler
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

--On 6 December 2006 11:28:34 +0000 Chris Lightfoot <chris@???>
wrote:

> is the true one.
> Pretence of this type obviously does not actually make the
> error condition a permanent one.

No, but nothing is permanent. Eventually, we'll all die when the sun goes
supernova. The difference in our interpretations is in the interpretation
of "permanent". You think it means a condition which will never change. We
think it's a local condition, which we understand better then you to, in
which we want you to stop retrying.

For example, I had one over-quota user, who had been overquota for months.
He was getting thousands of emails per day - mostly spam blowback - and I
fixed his local config to issue a 550 error. My choice.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex