Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Góra strony
Autor: Philip Hazel
Dla: Chris Lightfoot
CC: Matthias Waffenschmidt, exim-users, Martin A. Brooks
Temat: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Chris Lightfoot wrote:

> > The decision whether a failure is temporary or permanent is not up to
> > you but up to the server that sends the response.
>
> only if it gets it right!

"Right" is what the server's administrators want. Not what anyone else
may think they want. (Of course, they may screw up their config so that
the server doesn't do what they want, but that is their problem.)

In our case, if our server sends a 550 for an overquota error, we want
the message to be bounced back to its sender because we haven't been
able to deliver it for several days. We don't want the sending server
to retry - which would most likely just lead to another delay before
bouncing (and waste resources in the process).