[exim] exim4, saslauthd, pam, tried everything.

Author: JerseyDevil
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] exim4, saslauthd, pam, tried everything.

Ok everyone looking for a little bit of help here. I'm trying to get Exim4
setup to use shadow passwords. I'm trying to avoid having to give exim read
access to the shadow file for obvious security reasons. I have tried to use
pam_unix and the pam_exim modules and none of thoes work. I am also trying
to get saslauthd to work. I believe I have everything set. Exim was built
with saslauth stupport, and the socket location is correct. The exim user
also has access to the socket directory. However, I keep getting a
'435 Unable to authenticate at present (set_id=test): cannot connect to
saslauthd daemon at /var/run/saslauthd: Connection refused' message when
trying to login for smtp. I am using TLS to make sure the plaintext
passwords aren't sniffed, but that is working fine. I have also run
saslauthd in debug mode to watch and see if it says anything but it doesn't.
I've gone through all the mailing list posts about pam and saslauthd, as
well as the exim faq. and I have tried everything and nothing works. Any
help getting either pam, or saslauthd to work with shadow passwords would be
very helpful. Thanks!