Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Marc Perkel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Martin A. Brooks
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>> What I would like to do is on certian hosts treat a 550 error as if
>> it were a 4xx error so that I stored the email till they fixed the
>> server.
>>

> Or put another way "Other people have badly configured mail servers,
> can I play too?"
>
> If you're going to do that, why not just throw 2821 away entirely and
> start again with your own Perkel-friendly mail protocol.

The idea here is to not bounce email until they have a chance to fix it.
So I could flag a destination host to treat 550 errors as 421 errors for
short periods of time.

Or - maybe have the ability to fork to something else and store it and
then resend it later until it's fixed.

The idea is that this isn't something you would do with all hosts. It's
something you would do when you know the target host is rejecting the
mail in error and that they are going to fix it and want the rejected email.

Another situation is sometimes someone blacklists my servers by accident
and my customers start rejecting the email. If I had this feature I
could store the email and change IP addresses and deliver it. Or forward
it to another host for delivery.