Re: [exim] SORBS

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SORBS
Hill Ruyter wrote:
> Thanks Bill ...
>
> So in essence although I now have a fixed IP
>>From a netblock assigned to Fixed IP's
>
> ********** RIPE WHOIS OUTPUT *************
> % Information related to '195.8.87.0 - 195.8.87.255'
>
> inetnum:         195.8.87.0 - 195.8.87.255
> netname:         CLARANET-ARMADILLO-STATICS
> remarks:         <INFRA-AW>
> descr:           Static IP Addresses assigned to armadillo hosts
> descr:           London
> country:         GB
> admin-c:         NL23-RIPE
> tech-c:          CH309-RIPE
> rev-srv:         ns0.clara.net
> rev-srv:         ns1.clara.net
> status:          ASSIGNED PA
> mnt-by:          AS8426-MNT
> source:          RIPE # Filtered

> *************** End WHOIS ****************
>
> I have the correct PTR Record
> I have had my ISP make a request to SORBS to de-list the netblock
>
> But because these addresses used to assigned to modems 5 years ago I am
> penalised AAARRGGHHHHHH !

See below....

> Are ISP's not allowed to re-assign addresses?
> With the decline of modem use and increased business use of always on ADSL
> services what are ISP's expected to do with all those address blocks?
> Throw them in the bin?

See below.

> Well that is my Rant over with
> Thanks for listening
> No need to reply I know the exim users list can't fix it for me (I'll get
> back in my cave now)
>
> Regards
> Hill Ruyter

There is more there than first meets the eye. The 'fixed' part only applies to
the reservation of the block to the primary holder.

See that 'ASSIGNED PA' entry?

- 'Provider Assigned'. Means that the holder may, and is *expected to*
sub-assign chunks or individual IP from within that block, not use them itself.

And some - or *all* of the sub-assignments may *still* be be for dynamic use.

Nothing in the records prevents, it, and - in general - 'PA' suggests it is
highly probable.

HTH,

Bill