Re: [exim] Exim is not running the queue runner because of …

Author: Ted Cooper
To: Juergen Weiss
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim is not running the queue runner because of somelinux update
Juergen Weiss wrote:
> Nothing happens after 60 seconds.
> I have checked this already.
>
> The queue runner just will not start anymore.
>
> Earlier logfiles, at the time it still worked, showing "Start queue run",
> "End queue run" - every 30 minutes (was default on my system). Since a few
> weeks it (exactly since my last online-updates), it isnt coming up after the
> first run/finish.

Ok that really does sound like a large, OS dependent bug. To figure that
out, someone (not me... arhh! no time) would need to know pretty much
every single detail about your system, patches and updates. Try checking
the changelog for anything you've updated lately to see if they have
done anything to signals, sleep, or alarms. I'd really have to look at
how exim implements the queue runner timer to give a better idea at what
to look for.

However, if you want a temporary fix that could pass as a permanent one,
just run exim with "exim -bd" and add a crontab entry for the queue runner.

*/30 * * * * /usr/bin/exim -q 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

This will start a queue runner every 30 minutes and never tell you if
it's broken ;) If you remove the "1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null" it will email
any output from the command to root@hostname.

Finding the source of that bug could be of more use though, as I doubt
exim is the only process experiencing problems.

Ted.