Re: [exim] Feature I REALLY need - SMTP response strings

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Feature I REALLY need - SMTP response strings
Hello,

Marc Perkel <marc@???> (Fr 01 Dez 2006 18:18:19 CET):
> I have one feature I really need. When verifying, in this case recipient
> verify, I need to be able to read the string I get back from the target
> server.
>
> I'm in the front end spam filtering business. Most of what I do is front
> end filtering. The set their MX records to me, I fliter the spam, and
> forward the good email to the original server. When people sign up I
> read their current lowest MX and add it to a table that is used to
> forward the mail to when I get done with it. Generally it works well.

Aha. But if the lowest MX is still at your customers, you'll miss a
significant amount of the messages...

> Here's the problem I'm trying to solve. The user changes their MX
> records to my servers and at first everything works. Then 2 hours later
> I get a call saying that email is being bounced. What happens is that in

The 2 hours might be because of DNS caching.

> some cases the original server thinks it is no longer the server for
> that domain because it is no longer the lowest MX record so it replies
> that my server is not authorized to relay through their server.

The customers server should be configured to have its local domains
"hard wired", not just relying on DNS answers.

> What I need to do is detect that this is happening and at least store
> the incoming email and alert me that there's a problem. I have yet to
> find a solution. But if I could do a callout and look at the response to
> see if the word RELAY is in it then that would be a very good indication
> that the target server is misconfigured.

$acl_verify_message ?

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -