Re: [exim] Explanation of the working of verify = sender

Autor: paul.mcilfatrick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Explanation of the working of verify = sender
> > A final sender verify check in the acl_smtp_rcpt ACL is causing me
> > some problems.
> >
> >         warn    hosts           =       +company_relays
> >                 logwrite        =       Checking the sender address
> > '$sender_address'.
> > #               !verify         =       sender
> >                 !verify         =       sender/callout
> >                 logwrite        =       Checked the sender address
> > '$sender_address'.

> > The verify always succeeds, both using sender and
> sender/callout, with
> > the first logwrite being written but the second logwrite is never
> > reached. Some of the e-mail addresses that are being verified look
> > very dubious and I am surprised they pass.
>
> The verify could be (and probably is, for a lot of spam)
> deferring - check your reject log for "Could not complete
> sender verify callout", "sender verify defer" etc. If the
> verify returns "defer", your ACL will immediately defer,
> hence you won't see the second log line.

Thanks for your reply.

Deferring doesn't seem to be occurring as you can see from the example
below taken from the mainlog file:

2006-11-30 08:33:40 Checking the sender address
'DelarosatJeanettesheave@???'.
2006-11-30 08:33:41 1GphMT-0003y3-3r <=
DelarosatJeanettesheave@??? H=xxxx.xxx.xx.xxx
(xxxx.xxx.xx.xxx) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xx] P=esmtp S=36828
id=011e01c7145a$375e0830$863dbf7d@hunnycomputer T="Re:"
2006-11-30 08:33:41 1GphMT-0003y3-3r => blackhole (DATA ACL discarded
recipients): E-mail from Internet with attached 'creosotesolenoid.GIF'
file with disallowed extension - discard!
2006-11-30 08:33:41 1GphMT-0003y3-3r Completed

Not sure what the "!verify = sender/callout" line but it seems to always
return true.

Paul McIlfatrick