Re: [exim-dev] Routing of MANY addresses

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Magnus Holmgren
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] Routing of MANY addresses
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Magnus Holmgren wrote:

> So, to get to the point, would it be at all possible to parallelise the DNS
> lookups (and is it worth it)?

Yes, it's possible. You just split up the address list into groups of
100 addresses.... <grin> This probably also achieves more parallelism
in the deliveries as well.

Would it be worth parallelizing routing within a single Exim delivery
process? I have no idea. And exactly what does "worth" mean? Faster
throughput, I guess.

Remember that routing can result in address rewriting, which may affect
the message headers. Thus, parallel routing processes would have to have
locking features to control this. It's almost never going to matter for
a mailing list, but in principle it could matter for other messages.

I don't like the thought of tangling with this stuff, and especially not
threads - I have no experience of threads and I know they seem to be
different in different OS.