Re: [exim] Sender: did I miss something ?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Magnus Holmgren
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Sender: did I miss something ?
On Saturday 25 November 2006 12:47, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> On Saturday 25 November 2006 10:34, David Restall - System Administrator
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed today that exim's messages came without a Sender: header
> > line. I have been using this to save the messages to a file. Is it a
> > deliberate thing or has something broken. I've now changed my pattern
> > to /return-path:exim-users-bounces exim/mbox.
>
> Blame me. It didn't like it replacing existing Sender: fields, such as the
> one in the Bugzilla notifications. Now when I think about it, DomainKeys
> requires it to be changed if the mail body is changed. On the other hand,
> DKIM, the successor, doesn't IIRC.

I've put back the Sender: line now. Hopefully. But if there already is one it
won't be replaced, so you can't count on it being there, making it kinda
pointless... Aw crap. Well, once again, you should use List-ID to sort your
list mail.

Reading RFC 2822 §3.6.2, "Sender:" is an "originator field", as are "From:"
and "Reply-To:". They "indicate the mailbox(es) of the source of the
message". As an example they give a secretary who types and sends a message
for some other person. Mailman just adds a footer to incoming messages and
distribute them to the list subscribers. The messages are still substantially
the same, so you can't really say that Mailman is an originator. It
originates confirmation and notification messages though.

Resent-From is possibly a more semantically correct header field to add.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)