Re: [exim] separate log file for deliveries

Autor: Ted Cooper
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] separate log file for deliveries
Stanislaw Halik wrote:
> By the way, could you share me some tips on populating spamtraps with
> nasty mail? Found virtually no docs through Google.
>
> I tried posting test messages with various addresses to Usenet, but it
> might take a long while to get chickenboners interested in 'em. If ever.
> Tried scraping mangled addresses off my dear users, too, but only got a
> handful of 'em.

It takes about 4-5 months for my email address I send to this list to
get scraped out and spammed. I use email an easily identifiable aliases
for pretty much anything I sign up for on the internet or at trade
shows. The exim list has had exim, eximX1805 (DDMM) so far. Another
great place to get scraped is the public WHOIS records. They only last
about 1-2 months before getting spammed.
Having an email address put into those banner ads works pretty well but
I haven't seen one of those in years now.
I actually use control=fakereject on my spamtraps in a vain attempt to
eventually stop people spamming them, but that seems only to work to a
degree - from the original 50-80 a day they used to get, it hasn't gone
below 20/day. Some git is even manually spamming from yahoo.

So, pretty much anything where you put a username@??? in anything
that can be automatically scanned - it will get spammed eventually.

> Wow. I just discovered eximstats. I recall trying to roll up my own,
> showing counts of individual rejects. But this is plainly awesome, if
> only I knew about it earlier! Kudos!
>
> Accidentally, I stumbled upon such a wonderful thingee:
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/exim-users@exim.org/msg16893.html>
> Is it, by chance, available for download? Inefficient or not, I could
> finally make some sense of all these logs.

Dave Lugo is who you want to bug about that one. I'm pretty sure that's
the same output you would get after turning on ALL log output and
throwing exigrep at it, except for the syslog look of it.