Re: [exim] MAX_INCLUDE_SIZE

Author: John Robinson
To: Tom Daly
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] MAX_INCLUDE_SIZE
On 20/11/2006 21:01, Tom Daly wrote:
>> Use a more efficient lookup method? This must be cripplingly slow.
>
> I can't imagine it is, since I'm re-writing everything with VERP anyways,
> so every outbound message will need to be routed seperately.

I just mean that using lsearch, a linear search on an unordered plain
text file, is algorithmically inefficient, since it will always work its
way painstakingly through your 2M file, and on average inspect 1M of it!

> Factor in that the list has ~100,000+ recipients.

A linear search of 100,000 items will look on average at 50,000 items -
more if you regularly look up things not in the list at all - with a
maximum of 100,000. A binary search of 100,000 sorted items will never
need to look at more than 18 items to complete. Other methods using
indexes will be similarly quick.

Try using db files; I doubt exim has any limit on the size of those.

Cheers,

John.