[exim] Exim stopped allowing my Outlook to authenticate

Author: Daevid Vincent
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim stopped allowing my Outlook to authenticate
I think I updated PAM or something recently on my Gentoo server, and now
Exim is broken...

my Outlook keeps prompting me for my user/pass when I have mail in the
outbox. The log shows this over and over:

Nov 19 19:40:28 [exim] 2006-11-19 19:40:28 login authenticator failed for
locutus [10.10.10.69]: 435 Unable to authenticate at present
(set_id=dae51d): Module is unknown

Sometimes I'll see an error message in Outlook that says something to the
effect of "your outgoing SMTP server does not support SSL-secured
connections".

This all worked earlier today and has worked for many months.
I do use SSL both incoming and outgoing.
And exim is sending/recieving mail from the server just fine (I think).

I'm hesitant to re-emerge the new version because I don't know exim and
I'm afraid I'll just make things worse.

*  mail-mta/exim
       Latest version available: 4.62
       Latest version installed: 4.54

i just spent about 9 hours getting Dovcot to work again and that was from
0.99 to 1.0!!? *grr*

Please help.

Daevid.