Re: [exim] 500 Firewall Error

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Fezile Dyele
CC: Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] 500 Firewall Error

Fezile Dyele wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I somtimes get the following error when I deliver mail to some sites,
> The deliveries are most of the time successful for the same hosts but
> sometimes get the error. Tried to look and do the tests but everything
> works well when I do them by hand. I even added
> "DELIVER_OUT_BUFFER_SIZE=512" in the config file but does not really
> help.
>
> 2006-11-16 12:24:25 1GkdAP-000Amj-HA ** nobody@???
> F=<somebody@???> P=<nobody@???> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp:
> SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<nobody@???>
> SIZE=11462: host mailmarshal5.standardbank.co.za [196.8.126.8]: 500
> Firewall Error

This is a rejection from remote mailer. Maybe they are trying to
validate that mip.co.za exists and if they can't, they just deny your
access without any meaningful error message (in this case "Firewall
Error" which is the most ridiculous error message I have seen).
When I try a whois mip.co.za

whois: za.whois-servers.net: connect: Connection refused
If this problem often happens and they try to validate, this could
explain why your mails are rejected. That's just a guess.
You may also be from time to time on a blacklist they use.

You also have to know that mailmarshal5 is not their primary MX
standardbank.co.za.     86400   IN      MX      0 intfwg02.sbic.co.za.
standardbank.co.za.     86400   IN      MX      20
mailmarshal5.standardbank.co.za.

Maybe the fallback server isn't working properly when the primary is in
a certain state.

Anyway, I doubt the problem is on your side. Unless you send spam and
are blacklisted somewhere.