[exim] waiting for data on socket

Author: Zbigniew Szalbot
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] waiting for data on socket
Hello,

For a few days now I have had problem getting emails delivered to
charter.net. At first I thougth I had been blocked (as it used to work
fine). But when I ran exim -d -M <MID> I saw that all was going well until
"waiting for data on socket" message. Then exim started putting info about
selecting subprocesses (I may be wrong on the exact wording) and
eventually just bounced it back saying message could not be delivered.

2006-11-17 07:33:35 1GjwOS-0000n7-BX == SOMEONE@??? R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp defer (60): Operation timed out: SMTP timeout while
connected to mail.charter.net [209.225.8.224] after initial connection

I have no problem getting emails out to most providers (yahoo, aol you
name it). Before I contact charter.net I'd appreciate any advice on what
this error may mean. Is it a fault on their end? Are they not accepting
data after initial handshake? Like I said it used to work well in the
past.

Thank you very much for sharing!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot