[exim] Address rewriting or what else?

Autor: Bertram Scharpf
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Address rewriting or what else?
Hi,

on an old Debian system an Exim3 works quite fine here. This
is another attempt to switch to Exim4. My mails still refuse
to leave the local network. I was working on it for several
hours; I'm almost knocked off now.

My test message comes from a host other than the gateway and
it contains a line as:

"From: <info@???>"

I analyzed the temporary files /var/spool/exim/input/*-H on
the gateway and detected the following differences:

Line 2, Exim 3:
<info@???>
Line 2, Exim 4:
<user@???>

Last Lines, Exim 3:
051* Sender: <user@???>
035S Sender: <info@???>
058* X-rewrote-sender: user@???

Last Line, Exim 4:
051* Sender: <user@???>

I guess this has something to do with address rewriting but
when looking at the exim.conf both of them contain the line

*@* $header_from: Fs

in the rewrite area. I tried loads of slight modifications
of this, too. Asking for a -d+all option I yield an error
message saying the rewriting failed because of the
$header_from variable was empty.

I'm using Gentoo now; USE flags: X ipv6 pam perl ssl tcpd.

Could this be so difficult? Thanks for any hints in advance.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany