Re: [exim] Problem Rewriting 'Received: from...' and 'From:.…

Author: Matthias Waffenschmidt
To: Kunter Agan
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Problem Rewriting 'Received: from...' and 'From:...'
Hello,

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 10:58:54PM +0100, Kunter Agan wrote:
> Yeah, thank you. This is, what I found after posting my question - but there
> is still remaining one 'superuser' - in the "From: root
> <john.doe@???>"-line.
>
> When I found the 'received_header_text'-solution, I thought: Ok, no problem,
> changing 'from_header_text' will solve the problem. But what a pity - there
> is no 'from_header_text'-variable to alter...

You could of course provide a From: header in the first place, then
Exim would not have to add one (not sure if mail is capable of such
'advanced' features).

Or you could suppress the generation of the From: header (eventually
based on the condition who called exim) using the ACL modifier control
= suppress_local_fixups (see
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch43.html#SECTthefrohea
and
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch39.html#id2672936)

But of course this is an ugly hack and no clean solution that I would
recommend.

> So after thinking a while about it, I decided - ok, I am setting up a mail
> server with virtual accounts - the problem really is more theoretical...
>
> Maybe user root simply should not mail around...?

That's probably a good idea.

--
Gruss / Best regards   |  LF.net GmbH        |  fon +49 711 90074-411
Matthias Waffenschmidt |  Ruppmannstr. 27    |  fax +49 711 90074-33