Re: [exim] regex acl condition warning

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Saez Padros
CC: EXIM mailing list
Subject: Re: [exim] regex acl condition warning
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, David Saez Padros wrote:

> sometimes when playing with regex and i do something wrong i get
> messages like this one:
>
> regex acl condition warning - error in regex 'xxxxx: missing ) at offset
> 1023, skipped.
>
> when regex are large, the offset information is totally unuseful, maybe
> it will be better that xxxx is the regex part starting at the
> problematic offset rather thatn the beggining of the regex

Why is is unuseful? The xxxx should identify the regex. Presumably you
have that regex somewhere in your config. Can't you just go there with a
text editor and then move 1023 characters to the right? (I don't mean by
pushing -> 1023 times; I mean use some text editor feature to do that.)

Starting at the problematic offset won't always be right because the
problem might be caused by some error earlier in the regex.

OK, I can see that if you are constructing the regex by inserting Exim
variables, then the 1023 won't be as helpful in the original string, but
that's a case where outputting the whole constructed regex is probably
needed anyway, so you can see what has been constructed.