Re: [exim] How do I specify "mail.example.com port 8025" in …

Top Pagina
Auteur: Marc Haber
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] How do I specify "mail.example.com port 8025" in my exim4 configuration?
On 13 Nov 2006 23:20:21 +0100 Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:20:21 +0100 (CET),
Alan Mackenzie <acm@???> wrote:
>I need to configure exim4 to send mail from my MUA to a smarthost at
>mail.example.com port 8025.

That is not easily possible with the Packaging of exim4 found in
Debian sarge. You need to manually modify your remote_smtp_smarthost
transport. You might want to read the docs you have already been
pointed to, but be aware that the README linked from the Debian exim4
home page is already adapted to the future etch version, so you need
to do some abstraction before using its advice.

>Incidentally, it isn't helpful being told, on typing "exim4 -q -v", that
>"hey, the timeout for message <X> hasn't expired, so I'm going to ignore
>your request". If I didn't want to attempt the delivery, I wouldn't have
>typed the command.

It looks like you didn't familiarize yourself with the way exim works.
exim -q does a normal queue run, and one of the features of a normal
queue run is that it honors the retry intervals.

> [And yes, I know now there is "exim4 -d -M <message
>number>", but the 2 hours it took me to find out about this doesn't feel
>like time well spent.]

How were you able to miss -qf or -qff?

>Incidentally 2, I've spent upwards of 30 hours (much of it twiddling
>my thumbs waiting for multi-minute timeouts to expire) trying to figure
>out how to configure exim4. I haven't succeeded.

Looks like your debugging and leaning techniques still have potential
for improvement.

>I've done a quick search of this mailing list's achive and found my
>question asked about 2 years ago and answered by Philip Hazel in
>
>    Subject: Literal Domains in exim 4 /local_domains_include_host_literals
>    Date: Monday 21 June 2004
>    From: Philp Hazel
>    To: Tony Finch

>However, the form of the answer wasn't helpful to me as a user.

This is probably not the answer you need. I cannot look up the issue
myself now since I am not online.

>Let me stress I'm not interested in learning about Exim4, any more than a
>typical car driver wants to learn how to adjust the ignition timing.

Looks like you are lost here then. With this attitude, do not bother
to ask the Debian exim4 mailing list.

>Or tell me it's not possible, and I need a better
>MTA.

You need a different attitude. Or Windows.

>If I appear sarcastic or cynical, please forgive me. It's because Exim4
>is such a colossal time sink. The quality of its user-level documentation
>is epitomised by what you get by typing "exim4 --help" at the command
>line.

Hey, it even say that you should read the docs!

> If anybody wants to take me up on this point, please start, by way
>of example, by recreating the process a newbie has to go through to locate
>the configuration file. Normally you'd look for /etc/exim4.conf.

Normally, you'd look for docs and find README.Debian.

> On
>finding a veritable fragmented forrest of files there, you then type "man
>exim" or "man exim4" and look for the FILES section. No joy. After that,
>you're on your own, trying to decide if silly-walk.conf.conf.conf could be
>it, or whether that's something time-warped out of Monty Python. Then, in
>desperation, you open the 1.3 Megabyte text file "spec.txt" to be told
>that "Exim's run time configuration file is named by the CONFIGURE_FILE
>setting in Local/Makefile". Wow! Wonderful. ;-(

Please, do me a favor, and ditch exim. The postfix user community on
Debian is much more friendly anyway.

Greetings
Marc