Re: [exim] Removing the local_user Router

Author: Josip Rodin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Removing the local_user Router
On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 03:04:29PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I've been seeing a lot more spam sent to "users" that are in my alias
> and passwd files (i.e. www-data).
>
> On a related note, my Debian Stable system comes with an /etc/aliases
> file that includes entries like:
>
>     mail: root
>     news: root
>     uucp: root
>     proxy: root
>     www-data: root
>     mailer-daemon: postmaster

> I'm not clear, but when does mail get delivered to those? Why would I
> ever accept mail for, say, my web server?

Usually in order to catch mails sent in reply to faulty web scripts that
generate outgoing mails with the www-data address.

mailer-daemon is the alias used by Exim when it sends delivery reports,
so it might be advisable to catch those, too, if you care.

However, for all others, you might as well discard them, put them in a
mailbox/dir you never read, or even use them as a spam trap :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.