Re: [exim] Second class Email

Autor: David Woodhouse
A: Russell Wilton
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Second class Email
On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 10:16 -0700, Russell Wilton wrote:
> These 'Out-of-Office' messages are easily identifiable by their subject
> line, and I would like to treat them similar to the way bounce messages
> are treated: try to deliver them for a short period of time, and if they
> are non-deliverable, just delete them.

Firstly, as Patrick says, you probably shouldn't accept the messages
which _triggered_ these autoreplies in the first place -- consider using
sender verification to avoid doing so.

Secondly, your autoreplies should actually _be_ 'bounces', without you
having to configure Exim specially to treat them as such. They should
have an empty reverse-path to make sure that no bounce (and no other
autoresponse) will be generated in response.

Make sure that your autoreplies are not a denial of service attack
waiting to happen. Make sure that they are sent _only_ to the
reverse-path of the triggering email instead of any address in the
headers (so they can never be sent in response to bounces or
autoreplies), and make sure that they have an empty reverse-path of
their own.

--
dwmw2