Re: [exim] SORBS

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] SORBS
Hill Ruyter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to garner opinion here
>
> I have found that my mailserver is being blocked by SORBS
>
> I sit on an ADSL2 connection and due to this being new technology the ISP is
> unable to issue me with a fixed address just now and so I am on a dynamic
> address and use dyndns to host my mail and web for about 4 domains
>
> I have had no trouble up until now and then suddenly I find my address
> listed in SORBS by nature of a bounced e-mail
>
> Is this an accepted practice
> I am sure my mail server is reasonably well configured HELO is correct
> domain is listed via dyndns to the same ISP that the address block belong to
> so there is an audit trail I am just stuck with a dynamic address at the
> moment
>

> Any thoughts opinions or causes of action open to me are welcome
>
> Kind Regards
> Hill Ruyter

Being limited to dynamic IP does not make you, or your server, a 'bad person'.

It DOES make it very difficult for the rest of the world to for-sure separate
your server from millions of infected PC's that *are* bad.

So - no emotion involved, but we could be blocking you on several counts:

- missing PTR record

- 'known' dynamic IP

- any of several public RBL's, dynamic IP or otherwise.

- part of a /24 block on your entire upstream.

- mere use of DynDNS

(who may not have planned it so, but are of a class of services that have been
abused by spammers).

Best thing for the short-term is to find a sympathetic relay host.

A 'real' one - not a dynDNS kludge.

HTH,

Bill