Re: [exim] Paging Marc Perkel: rDNS on junkemailfilter.com c…

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: Exim, Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Paging Marc Perkel: rDNS on junkemailfilter.com checking host(s)
On 09/11/06, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Marc Perkel,
> >     Your junkemailfilter.com server that does the sender verify has what
> > looks to be dynamic/generic rDNS.  This causes
> > MY server to reject your sender verify:
> > Nov  8 08:12:24 thebighonker exim[32310]: H=5.ctyme.com (pascal.ctyme.com)
> > [69.50.231.5]:35579 I=[192.147.25.65]:25
> > F=<sender-verify@???> rejected RCPT <ler@???>: EL:
> > () in EL list

> > Can you get the rDNS to be more legitimate?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Larry Rosenman
> > (Sorry for taking THIS lists bandwidth, but I know Marc is on it, and I
> > can't email him
> > Directly because of this).
> >

> Well, the reverse lookup is 5.ctyme.com - I suppose I could change that
> but why do you think it's dynamic?

Because he has a heuristic for determining dynamic hosts from their
hostname - like DynaStop does. This is an inherent weakness of such
schemes, and why you should be cautious in relying on them.

(I've no idea whether this particular pattern would trigger DynaStop,
but the point is a general one)

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer