Re: [exim] Explanation of Exim's behaviour when doing a line…

Autor: Paul McIlfatrick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Explanation of Exim's behaviour when doing a linear lookup of 'recipients' in a flat file
> > If I remove the definition from the static.aliases file and restart
> > Exim then the linear lookup of the flat file for
> aperson@??? fails!
> > Restoring the definition to the static.aliases file and restarting
> > Exim results in the lookup working again.
> >

> > Could any of you experts enlighten me as to what is happening?
> Can I try anyway?
>
> Assuming you have something like the default config file,
> your lsearch looking isn't looking up anything and all of the
> work is being done by the :blackhole: in the aliases file.
> It's simply being bit bucketed with sender thinking that the
> message made it.

I know when the lsearch has looked up the reject-list file successfully or
not as I have modified Exim's config file to output different log messages
depending on what path was taken.

The following is part of the acl_smtp_rcpt ACL:

warn    senders         =       :
        set acl_m1      =       yes

warn    message         =       Invalid sender [$sender_address]
        senders         =       postmaster@??? :
mailer-daemon@???
        set acl_m2      =       yes

warn    message         =       Unknown user!
        recipients      =       lsearch;/etc/exim/reject-list
        set acl_m3      =       yes
        set acl_m4      =       $local_part

And the following is part of the acl_smtp_data ACL:

discard senders         =       :
        message         =       A valid sender header is required for
bounces - discard!
        !verify         =       header_sender

discard message         =       Unsolicited bounce detected from null sender
- discard!
        condition       =       ${if def:acl_m1{1}{0}}
        condition       =       ${if match
{$message_body}{$primary_hostname}{0}{1}}

discard message         =       From invalid user [$sender_address] -
discard!
        condition       =       ${if def:acl_m2{1}{0}}

discard message         =       For unknown user [$acl_m4] - discard!
        condition       =       ${if def:acl_m3{1}{0}}

As I said in my original post, lsearch of the reject-list file for
aperson@??? only works if aperson is defined in the static.aliases
file as aperson: :blackhole:!

This behaviour is very strange.

Am I missing something obvious?