Re: [exim] Support Vacuum

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Support Vacuum
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 23:40:39 +0000, Steven Wayne <swayne@???>
wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 12:10:59AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:57:01 +0000, Steven Wayne <swayne@???>
>> wrote:
>> >don't try and decipher
>> >/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template, that way leads to madness.
>>
>> I violently disagree here. We didn't spend days to make
>> exim4.conf.template as confusing as possible, we tried _really_ hard
>> to make it work.
>
>It does work, and very clever it is too. As an exercise in cleverness it
>is second to none.

I again violently disagree. You haven't seen Tony's configuration in
use on cam.ac.uk's hermes system, right?

>But if I want to learn how to configure an Exim mail server I need to work
>on an exim.conf file that I can use on any Exim installation so I expand
>the example exim.conf and use that. Once I've renamed it to exim4.conf of
>course.

Short of some easy, textual replacements, Debian's exim4.conf.template
can work on any exim system.

I agree that the upstream example.conf is better if you want to
_learn_ exim. To Debian users, I recommend learning on upstream's
example.conf and then transferring the knowledge to our configuration.

Greetings
Marc