Re: [exim] SMTP data timeout

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Chris Perry
Betreff: Re: [exim] SMTP data timeout
Dean Brooks wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:09:20PM +1100, Chris Perry wrote:
>

>>> Data timeout can be caused by MTU issues. Are you running your server on
>>> a residential DSL line?
>>>
>> Yes, its a residential DSL line.
>>
>> 2006-11-02 21:27:47 1GfYrR-0002My-UX SMTP data timeout (message
>> abandoned) on connection from dmz-vsgate1.sng.ibb.ubs.com [147.60.1.198]
>>
>> I have upped the timeout via:
>> smtp_receive_timeout = 60m
>> It still does it.
>>

> The timeouts are a symptom of the problem, not the cause of the
> problem. Raising the timeout value in Exim won't accomplish anything
> since the timeouts are being caused by something other than Exim.
>
> What Marc was suggesting is to check your MTU settings with your ISP
> on your DSL line. If you are running PPPoE on your DSL line, there
> could be an MTU problem that is causing inbound connections to hang,
> which would give you timeouts in Exim.
>
> This a very common problem with people running mail servers on DSL
> circuits that run over PPPoE.
>
> If you aren't familiar with MTU settings, call your ISP and they may
> be able to assist you.
>
> --
> Dean Brooks
> dean@???

Thanks for elaborating. I suspect the MTU is not the issue at this
time. I did have problems with the MTU when I started with DLS, and got
that sorted, with assistance from the ISP. Today I was able to send a
large email to the affected exim server without issue. The problem
seems to centre on some relationship between the sending (UBS) and
receiving servers.

Chris.