Re: [exim] DynaStop - I like it!

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Assunto: Re: [exim] DynaStop - I like it!
Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 02:36:38PM -0600, Mar Matthias Darin wrote:
>> DynaStop specifically identifies dynamic dhcp/dialup IP addresses that in
>> accordance with the many ISPs' AUP/TOS do NOT allow these users to send
>> mail except through the provider's exchange server.
>
> I find this ``everyone competent enough to run a mail
> server can afford a leased line'' theory very attractive.
> Out of interest, is there any evidence for it?

No one has ever presented any valid evidence *against* it, if only because there
is very little compelling reason to run your own mailserver in the face of a
huge number of decent low-cost alternatives in the first place.

A leased 'spare' dedicated-IP server I have kept on the back-burner and idle for
5+ years (Singapore) costs less than half the monthly price of a residential
cable modem line.

Anyway - it isn't a 'theory'.

A complaint smtp server is supposed to have a fixed IP, PTR record, and HELO
with a fqdn that resolves to somthing that can be matched with those.

That doesn't mean the sysadmin is not a fool or an idiot, but it does mean he
can read a ToS, maybe even an RFC or two, and doesn't wish to bunk-in with
spambots - if only out of laziness.

- nor troll mailing lists out of boredom.

You did bring matches with that gasoline did you not?

;-)

Bill