Re: [exim] IDN conversion

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Chris Lightfoot
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] IDN conversion
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Chris Lightfoot wrote:

> (None of this is doing anything to convince me that IDN is
> anything other than a trainwreck in the making, btw.)

I entirely agree, which is why, even when you set allow_utf8_domains,
Exim does NOT convert the domain to IDN. All that option does is to
permit domain names to contain UTF-8 characters. Period. No messing
about with funny encodings. There are certainly others in the world who
think that this is the way to go. See, for example:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/idn.html

and the domain pi.cr.yp.to, where "pi" is actually a Greek lower case
letter pi, in UTF-8.

However, it seems that the trainwreckers are winning at the moment.