Re: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration
Matthias wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Alexander Prohorenko Wrote:
>> Tony,
>>
>> What can you advise, except spending hours daily filtering mail from
>> SPAM manually?
>
> DynaStop may well help in your filtering. It can stop all spam from
> dynamic IP addresses (dialup and DHCP residential).
>
> its at http://tanaya.net/DynaStop/
>
> There is also a new forum at exim-users under Add-Ons.

Looked at the code.

We have been using a wildcarded regexp block list with <1,000 members in a
similar manner for more than a year. But far, far less clever substring matching.

JM2CW, but possible pro and con:

Pro:

- Should work largely as advertised.

Con:

- Should be expected to return more false-positives AND misses than an actively
maintained RBL of dynamic-IP's, if only because of updating/NOT.

- but the far bigger drawback is that there is no 'free lunch' w/r substring
matching.

Whereas RBL hits are cached by Exim, the upstream, or a bespoke local DNS
implemented for the purpose, using a simple and efficient DNS lookup...

..by contrast, this critter requires, (SWAG), probably 3 or greater orders of
magnitude more CPU cycles than a DNS lookup uses.

Ergo:

IF {AND {CPU cycles to burn} {marginal DNS}{DOIT}{NOT}}

Check your server load with/without the tool.

YMMV,

Bill