Re: [exim] handling failures in pipes

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Ian P. Christian
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: W B Hacker
Υ/ο: exim users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] handling failures in pipes
On 11/01/06 W B Hacker wrote:
> In theory by adding a 'fall-through' conditional on the above router
> that checks for cyrus availability so it doesn't accept then return a
> failure.

Thanks for your response.

I'm a little puzzled by why exim doens't provide a solution to handle
this itself. If a 'smtp' transport fails, things are added to the mail
queue. Why is this not the case when a pipe files? Shouldn't this
behaviour be configurable?

Cyrus is reliable, however I lost 6 mails today to bounces(out of
50,000, it's not much but it does matter) beause cyrus was unavailiable
for some reason.

I understand I might be able to set the 'temp_errors' option to defer
the sender with a 'try again later' response rather then a perminent
error, but ideally I should be able to get exim to handle a 'pipe'
failure in the same way it handles a 'smtp' error, and just put it in
the queue for later processing.

Thanks again,

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk