Re: [exim] IDN conversion

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Renaud Allard
CC: exim-users, Patrik Jansson
Subject: Re: [exim] IDN conversion
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:15:28PM +0100, Renaud Allard wrote:
> Patrik Jansson wrote:
> >> Argh.
> >> Yes, you could use allow_utf8_domains and dns_check_names_pattern and that
> >> could work, if your resolver handles the conversion.
> >> HOWEVER you would just carry the problem further to the next MTA that would
> >> need to handle the same problems.
> >>
> >> SO PLEASE, if you accept such (protocol violating) addresses, rewrite them
> >> and pass them further using an correct encoding (such as punnycode).
> > I just want Exim to do IDN conversion (if needed) before sending it to
> > the next MTA.
>
> So you just have to find an address rewrite rule (or more than one) that
> translates IDN into punnycode at SMTP time. Exim can do this. However, I
> have no idea on what the rule will look like.

It's likely to be quite complex--see,
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3492
Until/unless exim grows this support itself, I think
you'll have to call out to perl or something. If you just
want to do the restricted case of [äåö] it could probably
be done with a regex, but probably better to do the thing
properly.

--
``Depending on your age, you will either be singing a song about
clockwork mice who fix things, or thinking, oh my god, someone