Re: [exim] IDN conversion

Author: Patrik Jansson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IDN conversion
Chris Lightfoot skrev:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 08:24:22PM +0100, Patrik Jansson wrote:
>     [...]

>>> oh, sure, but my assumption is that Patrik's users' MUAs
>>> aren't obeying the RFC, and he wants exim to make the
>>> best of a bad job by transcoding whatever they *are*
>>> presenting to the server into punicode. But I may have
>>> misunderstood.
>>>

>> No, that's exactly what I want! Some MUAs like Thunderbird doesn't seem to
>> convert the domain and in that case I would like Exim to do the work
>> instead.
>>

> see my later message -- you need allow_utf8_domains.

Oh, missed it!
But the manual says: "If it is set true, Exim's domain parsing function
allows valid UTF-8 multicharacters to appear in domain name components,
in addition to letters, digits, and hyphens."
Now, this isn't really what I want is it? I can't do dns lookup on
a domain which includes åäö, it has to be converted into IDN first!
>> When I tried to send a mail (with telnet) I got the error:
>> 501-<teståäö.se>: domain missing or malformed.
>> How do I determine the encoding?
>> I could give any of you access to a domain with åäö for test purpose,
>> they are
>> registered for free in Sweden this year out :)
>>

> free if they contain accented characters, or free in
> general? grep se$ /usr/dict/words suggests a number of
> good possibilities... ;-)

Free if they contain accented characters only :)