Re: [exim] IDN conversion

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] IDN conversion
Renaud Allard wrote:

> W B Hacker wrote:
>> Patrik Jansson wrote:
>>> I know that the whole thing to use åäö in a domain name is a bad idea.
>>> I'm against it myself even though I'm a Swede but still, it's possible
>>> and I would like our mail server to handle this case if possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Patrik
>>>
>> Not sure how to test this, but I *suspect* Exim already handles it, or can do,
>> not by specific intent, but by general capability provided.
>>

> I am not sure it does. At least, mine doesn't.
> I get this log when trying to send a mail to n@lórien.net
>
> 2006-10-31 20:06:19 SMTP syntax error in "RCPT TO:<n@l\303\263rien.net>"
> H=mail.eriador.org ([172.20.0.5]) [85.201.63.39] malformed address:
> órien.net> may not follow <n@l
>

> You can try to send me a mail to test.

Tried with the escaped string, above, got back a DSN fail with:

  n@???
    No such account here.

Tried with the French characters, above, got back a DSN fail with;

  n@???
    No such account here.

*THAT SAID* I had not compiled Exim, nor set flags to specifically utilize all
of its encoding capability/options.

Thanks,

Bill

韓家標