著者: Patrik Jansson
To: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] IDN conversion

>> Hmm. RFC 2821 says:
>>
>> 2.3.5 Domain
>>
>>    A domain (or domain name) consists of one or more dot-separated
>>    components.  These components ("labels" in DNS terminology [22]) are
>>    restricted for SMTP purposes to consist of a sequence of letters,
>>    digits, and hyphens drawn from the ASCII character set [1].
>> [...]

>> This would seem to preclude accented characters presented in any way
>> other than IDN format, and leave it up to the MUA (or DNS resolver?) to
>> perform the translation.
>>

> oh, sure, but my assumption is that Patrik's users' MUAs
> aren't obeying the RFC, and he wants exim to make the
> best of a bad job by transcoding whatever they *are*
> presenting to the server into punicode. But I may have
> misunderstood.

No, that's exactly what I want! Some MUAs like Thunderbird doesn't seem to
convert the domain and in that case I would like Exim to do the work
instead.

When I tried to send a mail (with telnet) I got the error:
501-<teståäö.se>: domain missing or malformed.
How do I determine the encoding?
I could give any of you access to a domain with åäö for test purpose,
they are
registered for free in Sweden this year out :)

-Patrik