Re: [exim] IDN conversion

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Chris Lightfoot
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: John Robinson
Kopio: exim-users, Patrik Jansson
Aihe: Re: [exim] IDN conversion
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:04:56PM +0000, John Robinson wrote:
> On 31/10/2006 18:42, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> >How are the accented domain names being presented to your
> >SMTP server? In UTF-8, or ISO-8859-1, or what? (I.e., what
> >are the byte sequences in the MAIL FROM and RCPT TO
> >commands for a given domain name?)
>
> Hmm. RFC 2821 says:
>
> 2.3.5 Domain
>
>    A domain (or domain name) consists of one or more dot-separated
>    components.  These components ("labels" in DNS terminology [22]) are
>    restricted for SMTP purposes to consist of a sequence of letters,
>    digits, and hyphens drawn from the ASCII character set [1].
> [...]

> This would seem to preclude accented characters presented in any way
> other than IDN format, and leave it up to the MUA (or DNS resolver?) to
> perform the translation.

oh, sure, but my assumption is that Patrik's users' MUAs
aren't obeying the RFC, and he wants exim to make the
best of a bad job by transcoding whatever they *are*
presenting to the server into punicode. But I may have
misunderstood.

--
``The efficiency of the rocket launcher team was also very impaired.''
(commentary on film of British troops given LSD as part of a 1960s