著者: W B Hacker
To: exim users
題目: Re: [exim] IDN conversion
Patrik Jansson wrote:
> As far as I know Exim doesn't do any IDN conversions? In Sweden it's
> possible to register .se domains with åäö. I'm not sure what they are
> called but they are 'a' with a ring and 'a' and 'o' with dots.
> When you browse a domain with any of these character the browser will
> convert the domain name into an IDN string. This IDN string is what's
> found in the DNS. I would like Exim to do this IDN conversion when mail
> arrives from/to a domain with åäö, is that possible?
> I know that the whole thing to use åäö in a domain name is a bad idea.
> I'm against it myself even though I'm a Swede but still, it's possible
> and I would like our mail server to handle this case if possible.
>
> Thanks,
> -Patrik

Not sure how to test this, but I *suspect* Exim already handles it, or can do,
not by specific intent, but by general capability provided.

*So long as* nameservers in its 'food chain' handle it.

Wondering out-loud how to set up a simulation, i.e. not wanting to bang test
messages to strangers, but I do have R&D nameservers I could put onto an
internal network.

Can you list some examples of hosts already using the 'feature' so we may try to
determine the encoding and see what else (if anything) it breaks, such as manual
'host -v', 'dig' and such?

Bill